Wednesday 17 December 2008

Tears of a clown


Bingley has always had gummy eyes and he needs to have then wiped regularly throughout the day. In fact he’s become so accustomed to this that we only have to say the word 'eyes' and he’ll lift his head back and wait for one of us to clean away the gunk.

This lunchtime as I went into the kitchen, he yawned and struggled off the sofa to greet me with two sleepy tear-like smears running down from his eyes: he looked just like a clown! That of course got me singing The Tears Of A Clown, surely one of the best songs ever?

Bingley likes it when I sing (which is another thing that sets him apart from everybody else I know); when I start to dance around though he thinks I’m playing, so I have to be careful or he’ll go bring me a toy.

Anyway one thing led to another and I ended up listening to Motown classics all afternoon. The Four Tops, Martha and the Vandellas, Jr. Walker & the All Stars, The Supremes, the incomparable Marvin Gaye, and of course Smokey Robinson.

There isn’t a really a reason to this post; it’s just that sometimes these are the highlights.

No comments: