Tuesday 10 July 2007

Bingley not Mr Bingley...






...though I've got no objections! A number of people have asked if Bingley is named after Mr Bingley, which is a question that caught me out the first time. I enjoy Jane Austen's writing immensley, and I've also enjoyed watching Pride & Prejudice on TV & DVD several times - though nowhere near as often as some people I know! And of course I'm referring to the classic BBC version with Jennifer Ehle, Colin Firth, and Crispin Bonham-Carter. But for me Bingley's name was so closely associated with the West Yorkshire town of Bingley and its famous and spectacular 5-rise locks that I'd forgotten the literary association. Bingley also just sounds nice. 'A good name for a dog', we thought. We've actually been thinking about getting a dog for a long time, and Bingley was always how we refered to him - so, to a large extent, by this stage all associations have been pretty much forgotten: Bingley is simply the name of our dog.

No comments: